Saturday 22 November 2014

Samuel Daubney Hibbert, Brickmaker, Sutton in Ashfield



S.D.H. - S.  Samuel Daubney Hibbert - Sutton.
My first trade directory entry that I have found for Samuel Daubney Hibbert as brickmaker is in White's 1872 edition with the address of Mount Street, Sutton in Ashfield. Samuel is then recorded in Kelly's 1876 & 1885 editions as brickmaker on High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield, Notts. Although I do not have the exact location for his yard, an option is set just behind St. Joseph's Club on High Pavement which is named Quarry Yard on street maps. This site was used for many years by Taggs Coaches & today houses have now been built upon it. 

Updated 9.3.16; 12.3.16 & 28.3.17.
New research has revealed that Samuel was also a builder & he is listed in the Builders section of Kelly's 1885 edition at High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield. I have since found out that Samuel's builders yard was actually on Mount Street which was situated just off High Pavement, as recorded in his 1872 trade directory entry. I have to note that a brickworks is not shown on maps on Mount Street, so the Quarry Yard option looks likely, but cannot be confirmed as a brickworks is not shown as such on maps at this location. My next finding in the 1904 edition of the Nottingham & District Trade Directory, Builders section, records S.D. Hibbert (exors. of), 14, High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield. Now this address of 14 High Pavement was the builders yard belonging to another building firm called S.H. & F.W. Beeley. So one can only assume that the Beeley family were administrating Samuel's business in that year as the executors. 
During my visit to Nottingham Archives on Thursday I came across a document recording that S.H. & F.W. Beeley (builders & contractors) of 14, High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield had taken over Samuel Hibbert's building company after his death. 

Added 29.3.20.

This mint Hibbert brick has come from the recently demolished stone terraced houses next to the car repair garage on Mansfield Road, Sutton. These houses to my knowledge had stood empty for at least 45 years. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave a comment if you have a Gmail address or a Google account. I only receive your name & comment from Google. I do NOT receive your email address when you post a comment, SO if you want to contact me & need a reply please use my email address which is on the Links & Contact Tab. Comments are not shown on the blog until I publish them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.